Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fantastic Baby Corn & Chicken Soup

I've been trying a swathe of new recipes from a book a friend gave me a while ago, Homestyle Asian (Murdoch Books). Everything I've made has been nice but the one dish so far that has stood out as fantastic is the baby corn & chicken soup. It is kind of like a Thai-style sweetcorn & chicken chowder so it is full of flavour and has a great bite to it. The photo is scanned from the book since the photo of my soup didn't look half as good! However, the taste is absolutely delicious and I highly recommend you try it - don't worry, it's very easy to make.



Ingredients
150g whole baby corn (or a tin of baby corn) - cut lengthways in half or quarters depending on size
1 tablespoon oil
2 lemongrass stems - white part only, very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
6 spring onions - chopped
1 red chilli - finely chopped (I didn't put this in and just put a half teaspoon of chilli sauce)
1 litre chicken stock (I used vegetable stock and put a bit more than 1 litre since the soup seemed a bit too thick - see how you feel and add more if necessary)
375ml (1 can) of coconut milk
250g boneless, skinless chicken breast - cut into small dice
135g (1 can) creamed corn
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons finely snipped chives to garnish
1 red chilli to garnish - thinly sliced


This makes enough for 6 people at least.


Method
1. Prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking.
2. Heat the oil and cook the lemongrass, ginger, spring onion and chilli for 1 minute - stir continuously.
3. Add the stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil - do not cover or the coconut milk will curdle.
4. Add the chicken, creamed corn and baby corn and simmer for 8 minutes. NOTE: if you're using tinned baby corn then add it for the last 2 mintues only.
5. Add the soy sauce, season well and serve garnished with the chilli and chives.
6. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog spot on food. but the delicious food you only get from Dhow cruise Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grееtings from California! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you present here and can't waіt to take a look when I gеt home.
    I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even
    using WIFӏ, јust 3G .. Anyhow, grеat sitе!


    Fеel freе to surf tο mу site ::
    houston garden centers

    ReplyDelete